Friday, February 1, 2013

My technology rant, fools.

The scene is set...it's a beautiful day. Birds are chirping. Squirrels are getting abnormally close to people as they walk by. Thousands of students are on their way to class at Texas A&M University. I myself am one of those students. I look down and notice that my shoe is untied so I kneel down to tie it. Several seconds later, I proceed to be kicked in the face by another student who was too busy "hash tagging" to watch where they were walking.

Sadly this is the scene almost everywhere. What's even more sad is that people do this in much more critical situations than just walking. Many a student, myself included, have absolutely wasted entire class periods due to our obscure obsession with finding out what homegirl is doing later tonight. AND STILL...the scenarios get worse. Every one of us has seen those horrendous commercials of that guy with no limbs that was texting and driving...ok maybe he had a couple limbs, but I for one would like to have all of my limbs.

I admit it, that last paragraph got pretty intense, so lets get into some of the subtle nuances of this technological invasion. I take it back they're not subtle at all. Have you ever been out to dinner with your friends or a certain special someone like your grandma, and after noticing silence you look up form your meal to find one if not all of your compadres nose deep in some app they just downloaded? I bet you have. Have you done that to someone else? I bet you have. Have I done that to someone? You better believe it. It's gotten to the point where I see people completely stop in mid-step just because they are so into what's on their tiny little screens. I for one am terrified. Terrified of a world of technologically dependent zombies that don't know or care whether they live in an alternate computer, Matrix like, reality because all they ever look at is their tiny little screens.

Who knows? We may be living there right now...

2 comments:

  1. Nice use in imagery. Of course, it wasn't too hard to imagine since we, as students, see it everyday when we step out of the house. Our generation is definitely one dependent on technology and like you said, this is a scary thought, very scary. When I see my little sister and all of her friends her age addicted to their smart phones and gaming devices it troubles me. I think the only solution is to learn from this problem and try our best to keep it from getting worst.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I agree with you on the point that technology has become such a part of our lives that it has essentially turned us into mindless zombies at times, I must add that most of the technology we have today is crucial to our everyday lives. Code Maroon, for instance. is the fastest way to alert Texas A&M students, faculty, and staff members of danger. Without our cellphones (or you could say, our lifelines), it would take hours and maybe even a whole day for people to realize there is a danger on campus. I know that is just a very miniscule percentage of our cellphone usage, but culture today has evolved and adapted to involve technology. I have walked into people while trying to do something on my cellphone, but I have also almost walked in someone while trying to figure out how to work a calculator. All in all, technology has vastly impacted our culture, whether for good or bad, but the key to technology is moderation.

    ReplyDelete