Sunday, March 3, 2013

I Love Stephen King

To continue along the topic of storytelling I would like to take some time out of my day and thank a man that has kept me entertained throughout my teenage and young adult life, Stephen King.  In my opinion Stephen King is a master storyteller.  The way he draws you into his creepy little world, has you sitting on the edge of your seat, and then throws a plot twist at you harder than a Roger Clemens curve ball.  Although I have never been required to read one of King's novels for any scholastic reasons I have read dozens.  Would you like to know why?  Because I love to read.  Would you like to know why?  Because of people like Stephen King.  Master storytellers that entrance us and bring generations together.  It is because of people like Stephen King that little kids begin to pick up books and increase their vocabulary, their imaginations, their creative minds, not teachers.  Teachers can lay the tools down for kids but through stories are how the human being learns to use these tools to tell stories of its own.  You don't even have to be a master storyteller to inspire.  Parents who pick up books and read to their children or tell them stories that have been passed down by generations past, are storytellers.  What I want from you, the readers of this blog, to do for me today, is to sit back and think of your favorite storyteller, and think about what they have done for you and how they have helped you grow.  Whether that storyteller is your favorite author, your mom, your grandpa, even your 1st grade teacher. Just sit back and creatively give them a little mental appreciation, it's what they helped teach you how to do.

2 comments:

  1. One thing that's fascinating about Stephen King is his ability to create so many different creepy settings for his stories. The worlds of "Salem's Lot" "The Green Mile," "Stand By Me," "The Shining" . . . they're all so different from each other yet they all appeal to us because they function as worlds parallel to our own - worlds that are similar to but not quite identical to our own - at least we hope not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thornton Wilder’s multi-act play, “Our Town", touches on the disturbances that the routine of everyday life can cause by not using any props. The actions we perform in a day are automatic and require little thought or inspiration. Wilder inspires me to push myself out of my comfort zone because living in boredom is not living at all.

    ReplyDelete